The Most Rewarding Step in Your Skincare Regime
We lose around 50 million skin cells a day, and without a little extra nudge, they may hang around, leaving the skin looking tired and dull. Dead skin cells and dirt build up on our skin and get trapped in our pores, which can contribute to whiteheads, blackheads, and acne breakouts. Removing this top layer of dead skin cells will leave your skin feeling instantly soft and smooth, will bring the younger, healthier cells to the surface and leave you with a fresher looking complexion. It will also allow your skincare products, such as serums and moisturisers, to penetrate deeper into the skin, and work more effectively.
Exfoliating your skin twice a week is important for all skin types, not just dry skin, and has a long list of benefits. Make sure you choose a gentle exfoliant for your face, that will not damage or scratch the delicate skin, and a slightly coarser one for the rest of your body.
8 Reasons to Exfoliate Your Skin
- Unclog your pores – Exfoliating helps to remove dead skin cells and build-up that are left behind after cleansing and helps to stop dirt being trapped deep in your pores. Exfoliating will not only help to clear, but also refine your pores.
- Help to prevent acne breakouts– When dirt and oil (sebum) get trapped in your pores, it can result in acne breakouts. Clearing your pores will help to keep your skin looking clean and clear and reduce the chance of those annoying breakouts!
- Help reduce ingrown hairs –Exfoliating will help to stop hairs becoming trapped in the pores under the skin and will also lift the hairs away from the surface, allowing for a closer shave when using a razor.
- Skincare products more effectively penetrate the skin –By removing the dead skin cells and barrier of build-up, you are creating a clear pathway for your skincare products to penetrate deeper into the skin and work more effectively.
- Even out skin tone – Acne scars, dark spots and hyperpigmentation can be difficult to remove, but regularly exfoliating can speed up the process, by resurfacing the skin, encouraging cell renewal, and helping to improve its appearance.
- Increase blood circulation –Exfoliating the skin stimulates blood flow, increases circulation and helps to flush toxins from your body.
- Create the perfect pre-tanning skin –Gently exfoliating before a spray tan helps to reveal fresh new skin cells, allows the tan to penetrate deeper into the skin and last longer. It also reduces the chance of an uneven tan due to dry patchy skin.
- Silkier, softer skin –Last but not least, exfoliating will leave your skin feeling instantly soft and smooth, as the dry, rough top layer of skin is gently buffed away to reveal brighter, more refined skin
By Dianne Caine Australia